Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Funeral

Today, I accompanied my husband to a funeral. A well influenced guy who spent his life in the fast track. I met him once in a sit down dinner. Already then I was amazed by his down to earth character after all of his achievement. They belong to the high society and almost knows everybody in town. That is why when we reach the church the line was so long and there's not enough chairs to sit all these people. Flowers lined up the entrance, people are well dressed, firm and proper. Eighty percent of them belongs to the age bracket of 60 and above. Prominent figures and influential people. Some seats are reserved for some, the others work their way through empty ones.
As the mass started, I started to realize that I haven't been to a proper mass for a long time. During the ceremony, I start to wonder what these people are feeling, well aside from grief of losing a dear friend. Do they fear their death or are they ready? Towards the reading of personal message, first from the son then a very close friend, I started to feel emotional. So touched by the moment so much so that I felt the embrace of grief. As if I was related to the deceased. People shed tears of sorrow and grief. It was painful yet beautiful. Beautiful because I haven't really experienced a funeral so solemnly celebrated as this one. Everyone is patiently listening, responding and singing through the hymn. A very well mannered crowd, acquaintances or maybe stranger to each other, united in that hour to pay respect for W.
I was moved by the affair, by the people and by the man himself.
Thankful to have been part of it, of his existence even if it's brief and for the life that I still have.
Now, I spent the rest of it recollecting and making the best of what I have.

Dear W, may you rest in peace.

No comments: